Goals / Objectives
To introduce members to the group and facilitate a conversation about their current understanding of concussion and its related symptoms. In this meeting, you will:
- Designate group rules and explain the purpose of curriculum.
- Facilitate psychoeducation on concussion symptoms and symptoms recognition.
- Begin a conversation on utilizing memory aids, getting into good memory habits, and learning skills.
- Identify skills for coping with symptoms and the situations that trigger them.
TIME: The entire session should last for approximately 60-90 minutes.
NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: A minimum of four participants is suggested.
Activities / Content
- Current Understanding of TBI (5 min)
- Symptom Questionnaire (15 min)
- TBI Symptom Education (15 min)
- 4-7-8 Breath Relaxation Exercise (2-3 min)
- Symptom Recognition (10 min)
- Discussion of Symptoms (15 min)
HANDOUTS AND MATERIALS
- Take Home Impressions form (PDF)
- Brain Injury Symptoms (PDF)
- 4-7-8 Breath Relaxation Exercise (PDF)
- Dealing with Triggers handout (PDF)
- Symptom Recognition Log (PDF)
- Candy/Food/Incentive for Group Activity
All handouts/forms will need to be provided. Provide enough copies of handouts/forms for all participants and facilitators. Extra copies can be provided as needed for parents, teachers, probation officers, therapists, etc. Also, be sure to provide enough food/candy for all participants.
WRITE ON BOARD
Write the following module outline on the white board:
- Structure, icebreaker, and topic
- Current understanding of concussion
- Concussion symptom education
- Symptom recognition
- Group activity
This curriculum uses the word ‘concussion’ but some people will better recognize or respond to ‘brain injury.’ Plan to adjust terminology as necessary.