Goals / Objectives
To introduce members to the group and facilitate a conversation about their current understanding of TBI and its related symptoms. In this session, you will:
- Designate group rules and explain the purpose of curriculum;
- Facilitate psycho-education on TBI symptoms and symptoms recognition; and
- Identify a support person who can help you practice what you learn in this group
- Discuss how you experience and deal with triggers and symptoms
- Identify skills for coping with symptoms and the situations that trigger them.
TIME: Allow 1.5 hours for the session.
NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: A minimum of four participants is recommended.
- TBI Symptoms (PDF)
- 4-7-8 Breath Relaxation Exercise (PDF)
- Dealing with Triggers (PDF)
- Symptom Recognition Log (PDF)
These handouts should be distributed to the group at the points indicated throughout the session. They can be found in the handouts section of week 1.
WRITE ON BOARD
Write the following learning objectives on the white board so that participants may reference them throughout the treatment group:
- What is a Traumatic Brain Injury?
- TBI Symptoms – What are they?
- Dealing with Triggers