Goals / Objectives
This module contains information to teach participants to better understand how their brain injury is related to their emotional dysregulation (lability). This module should be utilized to help participants learn how to identify and label their emotions and develop coping and emotional regulation skills.
The primary goals of this week will be for participants to:
- Identify what occurs during their mood swings
- Better understand their emotional responses to various situations
- Practice coping skills to reduce or navigate emotional outbursts
- Provide psychoeducation on how emotional dysregulation is related to brain injury
- Facilitate discussion during group about coping with emotional dysregulation.
TIME: Allow 1.5 hours for the session.
NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: A minimum of four participants is recommended.
Activities / Content
Introductory Activities (PDF)
- Understanding of Mood Swings & Emotional Outbursts (5-10 min)
- Discussion: Effective Strategies for Managing Emotions (5-10 min)
- Mindfulness Break (5 min)
Group Activity (PDF)
- Managing Emotions (15 min)
Reflection and Applied Practice (5-7 min) (PDF)
HANDOUTS AND MATERIALS
For trainer information on emotional dysregulation and TBI, see: http://braininjuryeducation.org/TBI-Basics/Behaviorial-and-Emotional-Impacts-of-TBI/
Handouts (Make copies for parents, guardians and/or probation officers):
- Bodily Map of Emotions Handout (PDF)
- Emotion Log (PDF)
- One-Minute Breathing Space (PDF)
- The Body Scan Meditation (PDF)
- Befriending Fear Exercise (PDF)
- Emotional Recognition & Regulation (PDF)
- Take-Home Impressions (PDF) (optional)
Additional Supplies needed:
- Bag of colored candy (M&M, Skittles, Jelly Beans, etc.)
- Colored pencils or crayons
At the start of group take time to greet the participants, thank them for coming, ask them their names and share yours as well. Overall, you want to establish a fun and engaging environment.
WRITE ON BOARD
Write Module Outline on the whiteboard for reference by participants throughout the treatment group:
- Structure and Topic
- Applied Practice Review
- Mood Dysregulation & Brain Injuries
- Mindfulness Break
- Group Activity
- Applied Practice Assignment